Skip to main content

Week of a Writing Drought; Stephen King's 'On Writing'

Logo for the Insecure Writer's Support Group with a background image of a lighthouse.


It’s the first Wednesday of the month and so it’s time for another Insecure Writer’s Support Group (IWSG) post! In an IWSG post, we writers bring our writing challenges and problems out into the open to share with each other and try to offer solutions. And did I have a challenge last week that I want to bring out into the open. That challenge was, what I call, a writing drought. 


A Week of Writer’s Block

Last week was a bad one for writing. I had a writer's drought all that week like my region has had a water drought for a lot longer. In other words, I had writer’s block. I felt like I couldn't come up with anything new to write either fiction or non-fiction. I had just barely come up with something for last weekend’s post.  

Because of my writer’s block, I got behind with the story I've currently been working on for my upcoming book of short fiction. Originally, I planned to get the book out by this month but my stay in the hospital made me have to push it back to September, but now with last week’s writer’s block, among other things, having slowed me down it looks like the release will have to be in October. I still have several more stories to edit for the book and put through my writer’s critique group. Then I have all the technical processes to put it through like the book formatting and cover design. 

I also want to release a beta copy of the book before releasing the final product. If anyone out there is interested in being a beta reader, let me know. The book’s theme will be strange and deadly phone apps. So far, I've titled it "Bad Apps". 


IWSG Question of the Month

And now for the IWSG question for August: What is your favorite writing craft book? Think of a book that every time you read it you learn something or you are inspired to write or try the new technique. And why? 

My favourite book about the craft of writing is Stephen King's "On Writing". This book is part fiction writing instruction and part memoir. King does a great job breaking down the fiction writing process all the way to the grammar basics (needed for nearly all types of writing, fiction or non-fiction). This book has especially inspired me because it’s written by an author of horror which is my genre and so he uses examples from his own works such as “Carrie” and "The Shining" in showing us the writing process. 

The thing I love about “On Writing” is that King goes over his life story. He starts from his early childhood as far back as he can remember all the way up to about the time he started writing "On Writing". He also shows how several of his life experiences influenced his fiction, including his greatest known works such as the two above examples. 

King’s “On Writing” is the book I turn to whenever I feel a need to refresh myself on the craft of writing fiction. His life story as a writer, his writing instruction and advice motivate me to keep writing. I have adopted many of the techniques from this book, tweaking some to adjust to my own capabilities and writing comforts. This is a book that I will never tire of reading or looking to as a reference.


How do you deal with writer’s block? Have you read Stephen King's "On Writing"? If so, what did you think of it?

Today’s IWSG is brought to you by these super co-hosts: PK Hrezo, Cathrina Constantine, PJ Colando, Kim Lajevardi, and Sandra Cox! IWSG was founded by awesome author Alex Cavanaugh, writer of the Cassa Series of novels! 


Until next time . . .


Comments

  1. Sorry about the writer's block. October is still a good month to release a book.
    I have King's book but haven't read it. Really would like to know what he went through to write The Shining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot exactly what he said about "The Shining ". I do remember him saying something like his own drinking problem influenced the main character.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least