Skip to main content

Planned Beta Release for Upcoming Short Fiction Collection

Cartoon depicting a young man laying in bed with eyes wide open.
Credit: Pixabay


I've been working on my upcoming short fiction collection all week but have been worn out too many times, mostly from a bad case of allergies and insomnia. When I would work on one of my short stories for the book, there were several times when I nearly fell asleep ready to drop my head on the keyboard. So, I'd just go to bed intending to get more done in the morning but once in bed I wouldn't be able to fall asleep. Isn’t that ironic? Maybe I should make the computer keyboard my bed from now on. 

Well, there's some good news. Tuesday, I shared with my writer's critique group part two of "The Watch Party", one of the short stories that I’m including in my book. Compared to when the group critiqued part one several weeks ago, they didn’t have any problems with it. However, I did not factor in the changes suggested by the group from the last time. I've only done that for the first part so far. So, there's going to be some work that I need to do to harmonise the two parts. 

I also have to mention that I had been so busy with last weekend's newsletter, “Night Creautures' Call”, that I did not submit my story to the group until late. We normally agree to submit by the Friday before we meet at the latest, but I was so busy with the newsletter that I didn’t submit my story until that Sunday. Therefore, that gave everyone less time to give it a thorough reading. So, there was that possibility that the reading was not as efficient as it may have been and so they might have only seen mostly what was on the superficial level and so were simply impressed by that. I can't say for sure. 

All I can say is that part two of the story was the most difficult because it goes into heavy stuff like parallel universes, alternative histories and quantum mechanics. So, it would be easy for anybody to gloss over mistakes in the subject matter and I don’t think there were any physicists in the group that evening. The group that night only consisted of five or six people. Not that nobody's feedback helped, it's just that this has been one of the most difficult stories that I've written, maybe the most difficult I've ever written. And so I know there are flaws that I'm not seeing and that are easy for other people to miss if they’re not given enough time to read the story. 

For these reasons, I'm strongly planning on releasing a beta version of the short story collection. Hopefully, I can release it within the next month. As I said in Wednesday’s blog hop post, the release date for the final product has been pushed to October. So, if anyone is interested in serving as a beta reader and therefore getting a sneak peek at the book, please let me know and I'll be happy to send you a copy. 

Well, I'm going to stop here so I can catch up on some of that fiction writing and complete more of the book. I'll have more excitement, maybe even bigger excitement, for you here next week. 

Fellow authors: Do you release beta copies of your books before releasing a final version? Avid readers: Are you willing to read a beta copy of a book you think you might like or would this spoil the final version for you?

Until next time . . .


Comments

  1. I have beta readers the first round, critique partners the next round, then to my publisher where it goes through multiple rounds of edits before review copies are sent out - and then a couple rounds of edits before final copy. Sorry, don't know if that answered your question.
    Maybe the group missed stuff, maybe they didn't. Remember, average reader won't have a clue anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. You answered the question really good. Answering the question is by no means mandatory or expected, it's just to encourage conversation in visitors. You sound like you have a good thorough revision/editing process.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least better, fi