Skip to main content

IWSG: Making Fiction Writing Progress in a Larger Timeslot

Logo of the Insecure Writer's Support Group depicting a light house in the background.


It's the first Wednesday of the month and so it’s time for another Insecure Writer’s Support Group (IWSG) post! In an IWSG post, we writers bring our writing challenges and problems out into the open to share with each other and try to offer solutions. 


Progress Made When Writing Fiction in Larger Timeslots

Until around last Friday, I had a hell of a time fitting in time to do my fiction writing, particularly my upcoming book of short stories, titled "Bad Apps". The cause of this was my day job which I have to make a two-hour public transit commute going and coming each day. I love my day job (I’m a library technician) and so won’t give it up, but it still takes up writing time. I don't work on my laptop on the bus or train because it's too awkward for me and so I would get less done than I would if I were writing in a more stationary place. 

Lately I've had to fight my way to squeeze out a bare minimum of 20 minutes of fiction writing before going to work in the mornings. Then in the evenings I would work on what I could which often isn't much because by then I'm tired and ready to go to bed. Even on Fridays and Saturdays when I don't work my day job, my fiction writing time would break into several fragments, such as a half hour here and 20 minutes there. Sometimes it would go no longer than a half-hour by the time I’d get all my other writing related tasks done which mostly consisted of marketing. But I'm going to ease off the marketing, even though I'll still work with it to some extent, and focus more on the fiction writing itself. Slowly but surely, I’ve been doing that.

Marketing last year and before had been eating up too much of my fiction writing time and almost doing nothing but putting me behind in producing my book of short stories. But since the beginning of this year, I've been giving more time to my fiction writing, especially on Fridays and Saturdays. But I really noticed the difference last Friday evening when I gave a straight two hours of typing in revisions to one of my stories that I'm including in "Bad Apps". In that two-hour segment I got way more done than I had in several separate 20-to-30-minute segments. 

When I work within short time slots on a project as big as even just a short story, as opposed to a weekly article like what I write for my blog posts, I don’t get as much done. This isn’t only because of the shorter amount of time but also because each time I go back to work on my story during those smaller segments I have to look back to see where I left off. But in an hour or more of a time frame I can hold onto my line of thought better. I can keep working without having to go back several times to see where I left off. 

Don’t get me wrong. I will take five-to-ten-minute breaks about every half-hour because working straight through a longer time segment without even just a brief pause can too easily burn you out and run you into a writer’s block. So, those short five-to-ten-minute breaks are important.  


Dedicating more time to working on my short story all at one time helped me to focus more than if I were working on it in small segments that were a half-hour or less. I’m going to shoot for at least a straight two hours of fiction writing each Friday from now on and, because they’re more limited on time, continue working on my fiction for 20-to-30 minutes in the mornings on those days that I work my day job. Larger chunks of time to work are more efficient, yet, on those days that your schedule just doesn’t allow for them, every spare minute counts.


Blog Post Day Change

I'll be switching my blog posting day of the week from late Saturday/early Sunday to Mondays starting March 13th. I found out that more people have been reading my blog posts on those days and so I want to publish them during a time of week that's most convenient for the majority. 


Newsletter

If you want to see more details on my latest writing projects, including my short story collection "Bad Apps", then sign up for my free newsletter, "Night Creatures' Call"! I'm running late with the first newsletter of the year, partly because February is so short of a month. I'll have something out hopefully by the middle of March, by the end of it for sure. So, you still have plenty of time to sign up for it before the next issue comes out! 


Question of the Month

The optional question for March is: Have you ever read a line in a novel or a clever plot twist that caused you to have author envy? I don't really have much of an answer for this since I really don't envy other authors' work. I enjoy reading their work too much to envy them. I feel like we each have our own unique way of telling our stories, we each have our own voice. So, envy over another author's work has never been a problem for me.


Do you write better in larger time slots or shorter ones? 

Today’s IWSG is brought to you by these super co-hosts: Diedre Knight, Tonya Drecker, Bish Denham, Olga Godim, and JQ Rose! IWSG was founded by awesome author Alex Cavanaugh, writer of the Cassa Series of novels!

Until next time . . .


Comments

  1. Certainly makes sense larger chunks of time are more productive. You get on a roll and just go and go.
    Two hours is a long commute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just a bit too long of a commute for me. But I manage. I definitely try to take care of all my reading during that time and so it helps in that way.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least better, fi