Skip to main content

Book-To-Movie: 'The Island of Dr. Moreau' 1977

Promotion poster for the 1977 film, "The Island of Dr. Moreau", depicting a man turning into a beast.
Credit: Wikipedia


As I said last post, I had to postpone our fourth Monday Book-To-Movie to this fifth Monday. In a Book-To-Movie (BTM), we review a work of prose fiction and its movie adaptation. In the previous BTM we reviewed H.G. Wells' science fiction horror classic, "The Island of Dr. Moreau" and its 1932 movie adaptation, "The Island of Lost Souls". Today we're going to look at American International Pictures’ (AIP) 1977 film that has the same title as the book. This version has the realism of the novel and the countercultural revolution of the early 1970s. 


Synopsis of the Book

A short synopsis of Wells’ novel: A shipwrecked passenger takes refuge on a remote island and discovers that it is the place of exile of Dr. Moreau, a mad scientist who cruelly forces the evolutionary process in animals to make them human. 

The 1977 Movie Adaptation

A Twist in Plot

AIP’s “Dr. Moreau” is basically faithful to the book but, as with “Lost Souls”, leaves out a lot of scenes from it. However, it contains some twists that work well. The main one of these is that, unlike in the novel or 1932 film, the doctor does one of his cruel experimentations on a major character, literally turning that character from human to beast. 

Filming Style

Other major differences from the 1932 version are products of the film’s decade of release. Instead of stylistic filming like the original's film noir technique, this one's style is much more realistic which is reminiscent of the source material. It comes along with the 1970s' paradigm of cinematic realism. 

An example of this (besides the absence of heavy light and shadow) is that, for the most part, Moreau's "House of Pain" looks like an ordinary Victorian structure rather than a strange, menacing one like in the original movie. 

Hairy Beasts Suggesting 1970s Counterculture

The mob-like attack of the beast people suggests the protests of the early ‘70s’ counterculture. When the beast men rebel, it’s not over the debunking of their leader, Moreau, as God as it is in “Lost Souls”. Instead, it’s over his act of hypocrisy. 

Moreau breaks the law that he tells the beast people that they, like all humans, have to live by, and it’s a capital offence. However, the hairy rebels don’t react by bearing peace picket signs like hippies did in the latter half of the 1960s. Instead, they launch a violent attack like what much of the counterculture of the early 1970s did. 


After having seen "The Island of Lost Souls", even though I've always loved 1977's film version of Wells' "The Island of Dr. Moreau", I'm more of a stylist when it comes to film and so love the original film most. But being a fan of ‘70s pop culture, I can't love AIP's version that much less. However, the novel will always take precedence over these two films since only Wells has told the full story and has told it really good. 



Smashwords’ Summer Sale

Don't forget, Smashwords' Summer/Winter Sale ends today!  If you haven't taken advantage of the groovy markdowns on the thousands of authors' books during this sale, today's your last chance! These markdowns include my own books that's prices have been reduced by 50% and 100%! 


Upcoming Book of Short Fiction

On Friday, I finished another round of revisions on a story for my upcoming short fiction collection, "Bad Apps". This book will consist of tales about strange and deadly mobile device apps. To find out more details about "Bad Apps" and its work-in-progress, subscribe to my free newsletter, "Night Creatures' Call". I'm currently getting together a new edition of the newsletter and am hoping to get it out in the next week or so. 



Be here Wednesday for another Insecure Writer's Support Group blog hop! Have you seen 1977's "The Island of Dr. Moreau" or read H.G. Wells' novel that it’s based on? Have you been to the Smashwords Summer/Winter Sale and, if so, found anything interesting?

Until next time . . .


Comments

  1. I vaguely remember reading the novel and I've seen all three movie versions of it. Curious how you think the third film held up to the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the third film yet; that's the one I plan on watching next and doing a review of here. Both of the previous films stuck to the basic plot, at least I thought, but a lot of changes were made and some new characters added.

      Delete
  2. I remember the 1977 version as a bit creepy. I've never read the book though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 1977 version had some intense scenes, but the book had scenes that were even more disturbing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least