Skip to main content

4 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books Recently Entered into the Public Domain

Book cover to the novel "Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle", depicting Tarzan wrestling a boa constrictor.
Credit: Wikipedia


I didn't know it until this week, but January 1st is Public Domain Day! This means that on the first day of the year any works of art or literature--paintings, movies, novels, music, etc.--that’s copyright has not been renewed are considered Public Domain works and so are free to use without acquiring permission from the creator or a license. However, Public Domain law does very between nations. So, always look at the public domain notice that's stated in the source where a copy of the work exists before using it. It was when I came across author Jacqui Murray's blog post last week [link to interview] when I found out about this special day. So, thanks to her for letting us know about it and please take a look at her blog post on it if you get a chance; it's really interesting. To celebrate this day, even though it’s a little late, I thought I would provide a short list of science fiction and fantasy books that have gone into the Public Domain this year.


A List of SF/F Books Entered into the US Public Domain in 2024

Keep in mind, because this is a blog about fantasy and science fiction, I've limited the list of books to those genres. Furthermore, I've limited it to ones that became Public Domain in the US since that's where this blog is based and my dealings with public domain work have mostly been here. For other books and works that’s copyright has expired this year, please check out the “Public Domain Review”’s article that has links to all of them. Two of the books listed below are science fiction, or at least written by science fiction authors. The other two books are fantasy, specifically children’s. So, here's the list:


1) "Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle", by Edgar Rice Burroughs: There have been several books in the Tarzan series that fall under the science fiction category. This being one of them may be debatable since it involves a lost European Medieval civilization in the midst of the African jungle but no hard scientific phenomena such as time travel. 

2) "Mr. Blettsworthy on Rampole Island", by H.G. Wells: Much more adventure than sci fi but it's written by an author who mostly wrote in the genre and left an everlasting impact on it.

3) "The House at Pooh Corner", A.A. Milne: A book in the Winnie the Pooh series where stuffed animals, plush animals as they’re called today, come to life.

4) "Peter Pan", J.M. Barrie: The children’s novel about the boy who never grows up and flies with the help of fairy dust.  


Book-To-Movie Update

I'm putting the Book-To-Movie on a hiatus but, hopefully, it will be a short one. I may had mentioned it before, but I've run out of books and short stories that I've read and that have movie adaptations and so I have to build up my reading list for more. I'm hoping to have something for the BTM by next month. Hence, why there hasn't been a BTM this month, which I apologise for. 


Next Monday I will have an author interview here. So, be here then! Have you read any of the four books listed above, or any others, that have gone into the Public Domain this year? If not, do you plan to?

Until next time . . .


Comments

  1. There is a (fortunate? unfortunate?) trend currently where new public domain media instantly gets turned into a horror movie. There actually is a horror movie out there about Winnie the Pooh. I believe it's called Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey. And I know there's a Steamboat Willie themed horror movie coming out this year, since the very first Mickey cartoons are now public domain. Surprised there isn't already a Tarzan horror picture coming! LOL
    I guess that combines both your public domain announcements, and your book-to-movie news?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Readers can consider that as covering the Book-To-Movie for the month if they want! Lol

      New public domain getting turned into a horror movie? Yes, I can definitely see how that can be a trend. Is it unfortunate? I think it is but mostly when it comes to children's stories like Pooh since it totally destroys what the original story is supposed to be and is a kind of slap in the face to it and the author. Ditto for a children's cartoon such as "Steamboat" and its creator ( Walt Disney in this case). Still, I believe in a person's right to freely create (or re-create) works in the PD. I just don't praise or support cases such as the above two (Pooh horror and Mickey horror).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least