Skip to main content

IWSG: National Science Fiction Day and Writing-In-Progress

An astronaut decorates a Christmas tree.
Credit: Pixabay 


I can't believe that, myself, a science fiction writer, only found out yesterday that January 2nd is National Science Fiction Day for the United States! Maybe that's just because it's unofficial. But I'm delighted that the new year can be opened with such a holiday! I'm also delighted to write this first post of the year which will serve both as my contribution to today’s Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) blog hop and as a late version of my weekly blog post which I moved to today due to the New Year’s weekend. In an IWSG post, we writers bring our writing challenges and problems out into the open to share with each other and try to offer solutions.

Logo of the Insecure Writer's Support Group depicting a light house in the background.


Normally I've been answering the optional IWSG question of the month which this month’s is: Do you follow back your readers on BookBub or do you only follow back other authors? But I’m going to pass on this one since I don't use BookBub and so know very little about it. Instead, I'll go over my progress on my upcoming book of short fiction, "Bad Apps” and a little about National Science Fiction Day. 


National Science Fiction Day (US)

It shouldn't be too surprising that National Science Fiction Day in the US was made to occur on Isaac Asimov's birthday of January 2nd. Asimov was one of the most influential, most intelligent science fiction authors in the world whose stories and other writings talk about the possible impact that future science and technology can have on society. According to a Wikipedia article, this holiday that opens the new year is unofficial since it's not recognised by the US government.  

However, National Science Fiction Day is acknowledged by reputable institutions and organisations. One of these is MIT via their publishing house, MIT Press. This year MIT Press has come out with a book list that honours the day and consists of lists books that seem really interesting and with diverse voices, including one of Bengali science fiction stories. The more the genre has a visible impact on society, in which some of the most visible impact to date has been in AI, the more it will be recognised and maybe even made into an official holiday on some level. 


Writing-In-Progress

As far as my writing projects go, I’ve gotten some work done, including some revisions on a current story for my upcoming book of short fiction, "Bad Apps". I'm almost done with a round of revisions that includes the character development of the protagonist. I’ve been taking notes of the needed revisions; I just have to work the changes into the story itself. I even got some of this work done during my time that I spent with family in Fresno for the Christmas holiday. That’s a rarity for many of us writers when out of our normal writing environment and schedule! 


New Appearance for the Blog Coming

A new look goes with a new year and so that’s what I'm planning for the blog. I'm going to try to add a pictorial scene to the background since I haven't had one here at the Far Out Fantastic Site for several years. I hope to give the blog its new appearance by the end of the month.


Do you use BookBub? For those of you who live in the US, do you celebrate National Science Fiction Day? Do you have any plans or goals for your writing for this beginning of 2024? 

Today’s IWSG is brought to you by these super co-hosts:  Joylene Nowell Butler, Olga Godim, Diedre Knight, and Natalie Aguirre ! IWSG was founded by awesome author Alex Cavanaugh, writer of the Cassa Series of novels! 

Until next time . . .


Comments

  1. I knew about National Science Fiction Day but forgot about it.
    Can't wait to see what you do to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, I dont think it gets promoted enough and so that's why it's so easy to overlook or miss.

      Delete
  2. That's impressive you wrote during the Christmas holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as much as I would've like to but it was something.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know about National Science Fiction day. I'm also contemplating a collection of short speculative fiction stories, but I haven't done much towards this this goal yet.
    Olga Godim from https://olgagodim.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All actions start with a thought. It's definitely worth thinking about. I believe you. Mostly wrote novels? That's something I've thought about, tried but didnt care too much for writing them (which were very few). I definitely like reading them, though.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you've got some good work ethics. I wish I could say the same. Although, in my defence I used to. Happy New Year, Steven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I try to practice them. You have a Happy New Year too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least