Skip to main content

Tribute to the Late Roger Corman and His ‘Poe Cycle’ of Films

A young Roger Corman shoots on the set of the 1967 film, "The Trip".

Credit: Wikimedia Commons


Due to yesterday’s Memorial Day holiday here in the U.S., I decided to move this week’s post to today. The Book-To-Movie (BTM) review series is going to be on hiatus a little while longer. I'm still gathering more stories and films in my library of  “To Read” and “To Watch” so I can make a lineup. Also, I'm trying to play catchup on my two latest books which I'll talk some about later. First, I want to commemorate Roger Corman who died earlier this month, May 9th. He was 98. Because he directed several movie adaptations of Edgar Allan Poe’s stories, I’ve provided a list of those movies below. 

Corman was one of my favourite filmmakers of science fiction and horror. Known by many as the "King of Cult" movies, he was a leader in directing and producing B-rated movies, many of which were horror, science fiction, action/adventure and crime. Among his horror films, and the best in my opinion, were his adaptations of Poe's works. In a big way, Corman brought, though maybe not intentionally, Poe’s stories to the B-Movie crowd of the 1960s through his movie adaptations. Because I've always been a fan of Poe and I like to think that both of these great artists of two different mediums (film and literature) were influences on my own writing in science fiction and horror, I want to pay tribute to Corman and his “Poe Cycle” of films, as they’re collectively known as. So, below, I've listed in chronological order all eight of those films. The listings without descriptions are ones reviewed in past BTMs which I've linked to. So, for details on those, click on the links. 


The 8 Films of Roger Corman’s ‘Poe Cycle’ 

1. House of Usher, 1960 

2. The Pit and the Pendulum, 1961 

3. The Premature Burial, 1962 

4. Tales of Terror, 1962 

5. The Raven, 1963 

6. The Haunted Palace, 1963: The title is from Poe's poem of the same name, but the story is mostly based on an H.P. Lovecraft story, "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward". However, the script was structured around several lines of the poem so in that way, it can still qualify as a Poe adaptation. The story is that Charles Dexter Ward inherits the estate of an evil warlock ancestor.

7. The Masque of the Red Death, 1964 

8. The Tomb of Ligeia, 1964: A widower who remarries is obsessed with his dead wife, believing that she will reunite with him. 


Roger Corman made several other horror and science fiction movies, many of which were really good at least as entertainment films if not high-quality ones. But out of all his horror movies, the best and most well-made have been his Edgar Allan Poe adaptations. We'll miss him but we'll always remember him in his work. Thank you, Mr. Corman, for such awesome films! 



Books-In-Progress and Newsletter

For my upcoming short story collection, "Bad Apps", I've been working on the grammar and mechanics revisions for one story, "Game Night". For another story for the collection, I've been rewriting and adding scenes. For a second book, which will actually release before "Bad Apps", I sent the manuscript to the formatter last week. It's a very short book but one with plenty of suspense and creepiness. For more details on both of these books, subscribe to my free author's newsletter, "Night Creatures' Call". The May edition went out only about a week ago and I will be making it available to new subscribers for the next three weeks. 


Have you seen any of the movies from Roger Corman's “Poe Cycle”? Have you seen any other movies by him? 

Until next time . . . 


Comments

  1. He lived a long life.
    I remember Carnosaur, the Jurassic Park ripoff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when that one came out, I haven't seen it yet though. I'd like to watch it even if just to see how close it gets to Jurassic Park.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Andromeda Strain’

Credit: Pixabay.com To find out how you can read this post without ads, visit my Patreon page !   It’s time for our monthly Book-To-Movie ! For those of you who are just tuning into this blog, a Book-To-Movie is when we review a work of prose fiction and its movie adaptation. Today we are reviewing another book and film relevant to today’s pandemic: Michael Crichton’s novel, “The Andromeda Strain” and its 1971 movie adaptation. Crichton  is the writer of suspenseful science fiction, what would commonly be called today, science fiction thriller. “The Andromeda Strain” is exactly that. However, as good as this novel is, the suspense in the movie adaptation plays out better.  The Book In “The Andromeda Strain”, published in 1969, a NASA satellite returns to Earth carrying an alien virus. It lands in a small Arizona town by the name of Piedmont where the virus infects and kills everyone except an old man and an infant. A team of four scientists go to a top secret lab in Nevad...

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Lawnmower Man’

Credit: Pixabay Warning: This review may contain spoilers. In past Book-To-Movies, we’ve reviewed several movie adaptations of books and short stories by famous science fiction and horror authors. All those films have stuck to the plot of the original work to at least some recognizable degree. But this week’s Book-To-Movie will be the first to review a film that does a poor job of staying faithful to the original plot. The film is 1992’s “The Lawnmower Man” which is based on Stephen King’s short story of the same name. Even so, the movie is a really good one. So then what’s the problem? The problem is that it’s hardly an adaptation and so more its own story simply with the title of King’s short work slapped onto it.  ‘The Lawnmower Man’: The Short Story Stephen King’s “The Lawnmower Man” originally appeared in “Cavalier” magazine in 1975 and was then collected into his book of short fiction, “Night Shift” the following year. The story’s protagonist is a middle-aged husband and dad ...

Book-To-Movie: ‘Journey to the Center of the Earth’

Both the 1959 and the 2008 movies based on Jules Verne's novel, "Journey to the Center of the Earth", feature terrifying monsters such as the ones here in this illustration from an early edition of the book. Credit: Édouard Riou/ Wikimedia Commons   Warning: This review may contain spoilers. As I said last post , I’ve postponed the month’s Book-To-Movie review from last week to this week. For those of you who are just tuning into this blog, a Book-To-Movie is when we review a work of prose fiction and its movie adaptation. And this weekend’s review is of Jules Verne’s novel, “Journey to the Center of the Earth” and its movie adaptations. There have been several movies based on this novel that was originally published in Paris in 1864 (as “Voyage au Centre de la Terre”). However, most of them have been either made for TV or video. Because I believe movies are best when made for the big screen, I am going to review the theatrical films in which there have been two: the 195...