Skip to main content

Who are the Authors in Harlan Ellison's Upcoming Anthology?

Book cover for "The Last Dangerous Visions" depicting several spheres resembling eyeballs.
Book cover to Harlan Ellison's new and posthumously published anthology.
Image Credit: Publisher's Weekly, Blackstone Publishing


No, the headline to this post is not a tabloid. This is not rag or sensationalist journalism. Even though mulit-award-winning author Harlan Ellison passed away six years ago, an anthology edited by him is posthumously coming out very soon. I’ve read all of Ellison’s anthology of dark and disturbing science fiction, "Dangerous Visions", and almost ever since his final and third book in the “Dangerous Visions” trilogy was announced as a Patreon-backed project in 2020, I had been looking for my used paperback copy of the second volume, "Again, Dangerous Visions". I knew it sat buried, untouched and unread by yours truly among many other books of science fiction, horror and other genres, somewhere in my bedroom closet.  It was only a little over a week ago that I finally found it, and it wasn’t as buried away in my closet as much as I had thought. After opening coffins and treasure chests of books and not finding it, I found it stashed away behind a row of several other paperbacks and hardbacks on the closet shelf! As frustrating as it was, I'm glad I had to hunt for it. It puts some adventure in one's life who seems not to get enough of it. I just wish I could've found the book a little sooner (like about a year sooner) because it was only towards the end of last week when I found out that "The Last Dangerous Visions" releases just a little over a week from now. 


What’s So Different About ‘Dangerous Visions’ III

"Dangerous Visions” Volume I was published in 1967 during the dawn of the new wave of science fiction writers whom Harlan Ellison was one of. The second volume, “Again, Dangerous Visions”, was published in 1972. Both featured science fiction stories considered controversial for their time. “The Last Dangerous Visions” will also consist of such stories in addition to poems and essays. 

The unique thing about this third volume, however, is not only its delay in publication by half a century (it was originally planned to release in 1974). It’s also its inclusion of works by older and newer writers for the 1970s, as well as works by some of today’s writers such as Corey Doctorow, James S.A. Corey (The Expanse series of novels) and Cecil Castellucci. Besides having been edited by Harlan Ellison before his death in 2018, Ellison Estate Executor J. Michael Straczynski in a way acted posthumously as co-editor by selecting the newest stories for the volume.  



Publication of “The Last Dangerous Visions” kept getting stalled for various reasons. The planned selection of authors whose work would appear in it continuously changed throughout the years. In fact, Harlan Ellison said in his introduction to ADV that some authors new and old were going to have work appear in the second volume. However, their work did not appear after all for reasons unknown to the blogger. Some of that work included a story by Frank Herbert (the Dune series of novels), one by Octavia Butler and another by Anne McCaffrey. The introduction to TLADV doesn't specify the stories, perhaps because the editor didn’t know at the time which ones they were going to be. 

Where to Find a List of All Authors Appearing in ‘Dangerous Visions’ III

I went to the Amazon page for “Last Dangerous Visions” to find out what authors work made the final selection but it only listed a small sample. However, File 770 share's an image of the table of contents listing every writer and their work to appear in the book.   


So, "The Last Dangerous Visions" will contain stories that span as far back as the '70s all the way to modern times and so should give a good diversity of voices in science fiction. "The Last Dangerous Visions" is published by Blackstone Publishers and goes on sale October 1.


Latest Book Progress on 'Bad Apps'

I just finished an oral proofreading of a story for "Bad Apps", my upcoming short story collection about strange and evil phone apps. I normally have a final proofread where I'll read the story out loud to see how smooth it sounds so if it comes across as choppy or awkward sounding, I can more easily fix grammatical problems. However, I had also run the manuscript for that story through Grammerly's check and it gave me a report of several problems that need to be fixed, some that I had already caught. So, I'm doing a final editing using the Grammerly report which shouldn't take too long. 

For more specific details on "Bad Apps" progress and behind-the-scenes, sign up for my free author's newsletter, "Night Creatures' Call". The August-September edition is now out and so if you subscribe within the next couple of weeks you'll get that edition emailed to you. The next edition will be the Halloween one so if you don't subscribe in time for the current newsletter be sure to subscribe in time for that! In there I will be talking horror and monsters in my stories for the occasion! 


Have you read Harlan Ellison's anthologies, "Dangerous Visions" or "Again, Dangerous Visions"? Are you planning to purchase the third volume, "The Last Dangerous Visions", when it releases on October 1,?

Until next time . . . 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least

Book Release: 'The Trespassers' Now Available! and Free for Some!

Credit: the blogger My short-read science fiction book of  alien terror, "The Trespassers", is now available for purchase! But it's also free for some some people. Who are these lucky people who will be getting free ebook copies of "The Trespassers"? They are current subscribers to my author newsletter, "Night Creatures' Call"! I will be sending them their free e-copies in the next week. So, current subscribers, be sure to check your in-boxes!  For those of you who aren't subscribers to the newsletter, you don't have to miss out on the free deal! Simply subscribe  between now and August 19th 2024 and then you too can get a free ebook of "The Trespassers"! And that won't be the only thing that will be free if you subscribe--the newsletter subscription is free too as always! I do, however, ask that only US residents subscribe due to the differences in nations' anti-spam laws.  So, that's "The Trespassers" ebook