Skip to main content

Horror Book Fair and 'Bad Apps' Bookmarks

I apologise for having to skip the Book-To-Movie review again this month. Having published "Bad Apps" and now preparing it for print has been keeping me busier than I thought. I've also been doing some promotion swag work for "Bad Apps": bookmarks. I spent the previous week creating the bookmark and then getting it printed at a Kinkos in Davis (CA) near where I live. I had to cut the prints myself which wasn't very hard but altogether was time consuming.

Promotion bookmark for the short story collection, "Bad Apps" .
The promotional bookmark for my new book of short stories, "Bad Apps".


I would have left the bookmarks for another time, but I wanted to distribute them at the first Sinister Horror Book Fair which occurred Sunday at a Scottish Rite centre near Sacramento State University. This book fair was put on by the same people who do Sinister Creature Con, a horror movie and TV convention that occurs twice a year. It was the first book fair they did and it seemed to do really well and I hope they'll do it again next year. The horror genre needs more of a book culture these days since it's seemed to be dominated by the film and TV industry (especially streaming TV) for the past decade if not more.

Sinister Horror Book Fair had a lot to offer. There were mostly venders selling their books, of course, many of whom were authors themselves and indie ones at that. I myself didn't have a table for my books because I didn't find out about the event until late. There were several subgenres of horror fiction, including steam punk noir and Western horror, and there were also dark fantasy works. Besides, books, there were crafters who sold their dark-themed jewelry and artwork, and there was even a movie production company, In Media Productions, promoting their feature film-in-the-making--"The Whistle". Their short film that they're developing it from is currently available to watch free at YouTube. 

I recently put in the order for a printable version of the illustration for "Bad Apps"'s book cover. While that's being worked on, I'll be getting the manuscript ready for it's print publication which I'm aiming to release bu mid October. I'll keep everyone updated on that at my Facebook page. 


Be here next Wednesday for another Insecure Writer's Support Group blog hop! 



Book cover to "Bad Apps" depicting a devil covered in app tiles.

"Bad Apps" is a collection of techno-horror short stories that encounter mobile device apps that are strange, sinister, and deadly. Many of these stories deal with the weirdly scientific, while others go right to the brink of the supernatural. Some blur the lines between reality and virtual reality, others feature handheld devices that connect to parallel universes and alternate timelines. 

A young woman discovers that her computer’s search engine is reading her mind. A teenager downloads to his phone a voodoo doll app and uses it against his enemies. A streaming music video conjures up a demon. These and the many other techno-terror tales in this book show the nightmarish consequences of when technology goes too far on both the programmer's end and the user's.

Now Available at Amazon
 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Andromeda Strain’

Credit: Pixabay.com To find out how you can read this post without ads, visit my Patreon page !   It’s time for our monthly Book-To-Movie ! For those of you who are just tuning into this blog, a Book-To-Movie is when we review a work of prose fiction and its movie adaptation. Today we are reviewing another book and film relevant to today’s pandemic: Michael Crichton’s novel, “The Andromeda Strain” and its 1971 movie adaptation. Crichton  is the writer of suspenseful science fiction, what would commonly be called today, science fiction thriller. “The Andromeda Strain” is exactly that. However, as good as this novel is, the suspense in the movie adaptation plays out better.  The Book In “The Andromeda Strain”, published in 1969, a NASA satellite returns to Earth carrying an alien virus. It lands in a small Arizona town by the name of Piedmont where the virus infects and kills everyone except an old man and an infant. A team of four scientists go to a top secret lab in Nevad...

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Lawnmower Man’

Credit: Pixabay Warning: This review may contain spoilers. In past Book-To-Movies, we’ve reviewed several movie adaptations of books and short stories by famous science fiction and horror authors. All those films have stuck to the plot of the original work to at least some recognizable degree. But this week’s Book-To-Movie will be the first to review a film that does a poor job of staying faithful to the original plot. The film is 1992’s “The Lawnmower Man” which is based on Stephen King’s short story of the same name. Even so, the movie is a really good one. So then what’s the problem? The problem is that it’s hardly an adaptation and so more its own story simply with the title of King’s short work slapped onto it.  ‘The Lawnmower Man’: The Short Story Stephen King’s “The Lawnmower Man” originally appeared in “Cavalier” magazine in 1975 and was then collected into his book of short fiction, “Night Shift” the following year. The story’s protagonist is a middle-aged husband and dad ...

Book-To-Movie: ‘Journey to the Center of the Earth’

Both the 1959 and the 2008 movies based on Jules Verne's novel, "Journey to the Center of the Earth", feature terrifying monsters such as the ones here in this illustration from an early edition of the book. Credit: Ã‰douard Riou/ Wikimedia Commons   Warning: This review may contain spoilers. As I said last post , I’ve postponed the month’s Book-To-Movie review from last week to this week. For those of you who are just tuning into this blog, a Book-To-Movie is when we review a work of prose fiction and its movie adaptation. And this weekend’s review is of Jules Verne’s novel, “Journey to the Center of the Earth” and its movie adaptations. There have been several movies based on this novel that was originally published in Paris in 1864 (as “Voyage au Centre de la Terre”). However, most of them have been either made for TV or video. Because I believe movies are best when made for the big screen, I am going to review the theatrical films in which there have been two: the 195...