Skip to main content

Digging Up Some Good Halloween Reads

A skeleton stands in an open grave.
Credit: Pixabay.com




I apologise for not posting the last two weeks. I was busy getting an early start on celebrating Halloween--Southern California style. Well, in a sense. The amusement parks like Disneyland and Knott’s Berry Farm celebrate the holiday early due to the tourists who come from all over the world. So Disneyland, Disney California Adventure and Knott’s—all parks that I visited with family from Fresno last week—were set up for Halloween with Jack-o-lanterns and skeletons depicting the parks’ characters. And of course, the major attraction at Disneyland this time of year is the Haunted Mansion, seasonally renamed the Haunted Holiday Mansion and so includes characters from The Nightmare Before Christmas. I prefer the year-round version of this dark ride that’s always been a favourite of mine. It’s scarier whereas the one during the Halloween season tends to be a bit too comical, even if in a dark sense, because of the nature of Tim Burton’s Nightmare characters. Even so, I’m still fascinated by the holiday version. I tried riding it a second time but it is so popular during this time of year that the later it gets in the day the longer the lines get. It was about a 20 to 30 minute wait when I went on it the first time but as it got closer to evening the wait was 45 to 75 minutes! There were too many other neat rides to go on besides just that, so as long as I rode it once I was okay with it.


Disney Attraction On the Printed Page


The opportunity to learn more about the ride was not all lost, however. I bought as a souvinir The Haunted Mansion: Imagineering a Disney Classic. This book tells the entire history of Disney’s haunted house ride and all its incarnations at the other Disney parks around the world. Plus, it has photos of the attraction and of concept sketches used in the designing of it and it discusses Walt Disney’s inspiration for creating the ride. I haven’t finished reading the book yet but, of what I’ve read so far, it’s very intriguing and I recommend it for all Haunted Mansion and dark ride fans.

Two More Good Halloween Reads


Today at a Friends of the Library book sale, I found two more books just in time for the Halloween season. One was a copy of Washington Irving’s The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (that also includes some of his other stories). The other: a copy of the Necronomicon. This latter is not so much a story than a book of spells said to be dangerous if used. How true that is, I don’t know. But, personally, I wouldn’t try practicing them to find out. However, this book has interested me for a long time because it was the book that influenced H.P. Lovecraft’s Cthulhu Mythos. Yet, the strange thing is that it’s been said Lovecraft did not believe the book ever existed. I’ve been trying to get a hold of a copy of the Necronomicon since a year ago when I started reading a history of it called Dead Names, written by the editor of the former who only goes by the name of Simon. I’ll try to do a review of Dead Names here before Halloween.

My Upcoming Book


For the past several weeks I’ve been working on self-publishing a Halloween horror book. It will consist of two YA/tween stories. So I’ve been keeping really busy putting that together so I can get it out before the 31st of the month. As much as I prefer print, the book will only be available in ebook format for the time being. I admit that I didn’t start planning it until only the end of last month and so I won’t have time to get it into print before Halloween. I apologise for my hypocrisy to my fellow lovers of print books. But I will come out with a print edition eventually. Keep tuning in here and at my Facebook page for the latest updates and how you might be able to get a free copy!

Upcoming “Book To Movie” Review


Yesterday I saw The House With a Clock In Its Walls, the movie adaptation of John Bellairs’ juvenile book of the same name. I was going to have a “Book To Movie” review of it here for you today but got too late of a start in the day. So I’ll have it here next week. But I’ll leave you with this much about the movie: it was terror-ific but it doesn’t beat the book!


Do you have any plans for this Halloween season? Do you plan on reading or seeing any books or movies in light (or dark) of the holiday? Feel free to leave your replies in the box below.

Until next time . . .





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least