Skip to main content

A Rejection Letter That Made Me Take My Writing By Surprise

This badge of the Insecure Writer's Support Group depicts a lighthouse in the background.


It’s time for another Insecure Writers Support Group (IWSG) post!  IWSG is a monthly blog hop that occurs every first Wednesday of the month where we writers talk about the challenges in writing and how to resolve them.


For today's post, I'm going to answer IWSG's question for the month which is: Has your writing ever taken you by surprise? For example, a positive and belated response to a submission you'd forgotten about or an ending you never saw coming? Well, I'm sure there have been several times that my writing has done this to me such as when I’ve received positive responses from critique groups or have come up with a scene in a story that helped further develop the plot. However, having a bad memory, I can't recall a specific moment when any of these have happened. Because of that, I'll talk about my most recent experience with this sort of thing which occurred with a rejection letter that I received about a month ago.

Rejection letters always sound like a bad thing to a lot of us writers. However, they can contain very valuable and even encouraging feedback. That was the case with this rejection letter to a story that I had been working on for several months in revisions. Before I submitted the story to the publication, I had put it through my writers' critique group who gave me both positive and negative (though useful) feedback. They said that much of the story needed to be rewritten for grammar, structure and clarity. So I worked on these problems and eventually submitted it to a science fiction/fantasy magazine.

Within the past year, most of my rejection letters contained very little to no feedback. However, this most recent one provided a whole paragraph of it! What, I guess you could say, caught me by surprise was the editor's complement that said the story was, overall, written well. I have not gotten that positive of feedback on my fiction writing until then as far as rejection letters go. The most positive feedback I had gotten before was that the story had a good or creative concept, which was also an indication of improvement on my writing compared to rejection letters from even further back in my writing career. But what is a great concept when it is not communicated well or not made convincing in the events of the story? So this recent rejection letter was an indication that I'm conveying the concept more clearly and comprehensively.

However, the more constructive feedback, what many of us would call "negative" feedback, in the letter indicated that the story’s events needed to be made more convincing. This feedback that showed how the story could improve was well-detailed and so pointed out specific scenes such as a character’s  reaction to a situation. This is the most detailed response I've received from an editor and so I take it as a sign that my fiction writing is improving.

So, it seems, the key to getting better, more useful and specific feedback from editors is to keep writing and submitting stories and to seriously consider advice from fellow writers and critique groups and, definitely, from editors. The more you do these things, the more likely an editor will eventually see the potential in your work and give you feedback that goes beyond just "the story is not right for our publication" or something as vague such as "the story didn't convince us."


What's the best, most useful or encouraging feedback on your writing you’ve received? For example, feedback from a critique group, a fellow writer, beta readers or an editor?

Today’s IWSG is brought to you by these super co-hosts:  Renee Scattergood, Sadira Stone, Jacqui Murray, Tamara Narayan, and LG Keltner! IWSG was founded by awesome author Alex Cavanaugh, writer of the Cassa Series of novels!

Until next time . . .

Comments

  1. Better than a form rejection letter! At least you got some information and tips and can continue to make the story even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've received a lot of form rejection letters before.

      Delete
  2. It's awesome when a writer is given feedback with the rejection. Not many editors/agents do that anymore. When it happens, that feedback is precious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does help. I can imagination it's a rarer thing now since it is so much easier to submit to publications through email and that editors get hit with way more submissions than they did during pre-Internet times.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! That's a great sign that you're getting close to publication.

    I can't remember the most encouraging feedback I've ever received, but I was thrilled to get what seemed like personal notes from editors at Alfred Hitchcock Magazine and Cemetery Dance, because it's a dream of mine to have work published in those publications.

    Keep submitting! It's amazing how many writers don't submit their work. It's the only way to get published, and by doing so, you're ahead of the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, J.H.!

      When you get personal notes from publications such as Alfred Hitchcock Magazine and Cemetery Dance those are big pluses! Their the big magazines of their genres. Keep submitting them and other like big ones.

      Delete
  4. I love helpful rejection letters. I know everyone can't do them, but they really help you know what is missing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do help with that. It's not just helpful with the story you submitted but also for future stories.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least