Skip to main content

R.I.P. Susan Ellison; Local Bookstore; Summer Sci Fi Reading

A sun with a humanoid face.
Credit: Pixabay



I can’t believe this is already the third Saturday of the month! I only realised it earlier this week. Because it came up so quickly, I’m going to again postpone the Book-To-Movie review for the month until next weekend. I know, it seems like I’ve been doing this regularly since the pandemic started in March (at least that’s when it started for my area). Well, as the news media outlets have been recently hollering about society as a whole, this is the new norm. I tried getting a Book-To-Movie together for this weekend but didn’t come up with anything until Thursday in which I viewed the movie adaptation that evening and then read the short story original only yesterday. I’m not going to tell you what the story or its movie adaptation is, though. To find out you will have to tune in here next week. For this week . . . 


Harlan Ellison’s Wife Susan Dies at 60

Shockingly, the late Harlan Ellison’s wife, Susan Ellison, died the first of this month. She passed away at her Sherman Oaks home, also known as “The Lost Aztec Temple of Mars” and “Ellison Wonderland”, in Southern California. She was only 60 which is a very young age to die today since the human lifespan has increased. Her husband, Harlan, only died a couple of years ago, 2018.  

I met both Susan and Harlan once at an author signing at WorldCon 64 in Anaheim back in 2006. She was a total contrast to her husband, who was often blunt and loud-spoken (in a fun way). I really don’t remember what she said to me, other than asking me what books I had brought for her husband to sign. However, I do remember she was very friendly, refined in her speech but not shy, and I think she introduced me to Harlan when she handed my copies of his books over to him so he could sign them. Both she and her husband, one of my favourite writers of science fiction and fantasy (and even non-fiction in some cases), were both very friendly. Since I only met her once and talked to her only for a few minutes, I can’t say much more than that. However, two big name authors, Neil Gaiman and George R.R. Martin, say much more than I can at their blogs about how wonderful of a person she was. I just say may she rest in peace with her good husband who both we will miss. 

Facing the Burning Sun and Plague to Support My Local Book Store

Thursday afternoon, I braved the scorching sun and, in a way, the Corona Virus by donning my mask and walking two blocks from the Light Rail to Beer’s Books in Sacramento. I tried going there the day before but they said that I had to make an appointment so they could maintain social distancing. Before then, I had been debating whether to look for some Isaac Asimov books there or shop for them online, considering the restrictions that the pandemic has caused. But I like to support my locally owned book stores and leave online shopping as a very last resort. This is especially the case now since so many local and independent businesses are closing up due to the bad economy caused by the pandemic. So I made an appointment for the following day for 4 o’clock. The next day, I went there and browsed through the science fiction section and found myself a copy of Asimov’s “Foundation” and another one of his, “The Naked Sun”, both which are 1960s editions with beautiful cover art. I only had a half-hour in there because that was the store’s limit for each customer. But it was perfectly understandable. It protects me, the employees, and the other customers who like shopping there from the virus.

Photo of the blogger wearing a germ warfare mask.
Credit: The blogger


 

Summer Reading

This maybe hasn’t been a normal summer for us, but what hasn’t changed this summer, besides the scorching heat, is my summer reading. Not that I’m reading the same books as I did last summer. (I’m not.) I’m reading certain books specifically for the summer. One of the books that I just finished, which got me to shop for the above Asimov books, is his collection of robot stories and essays, “Robot Visions”. Well, I finished the short fiction portion of the book at least. (Except for the last one called “Christmas Without Rodney”, but I don’t count that one as summer reading because of the time of year it’s set in as indicated by the title. So I won’t open that one until Christmas.) I’ll leave finishing the essay collection portion for another day. 

I also just finished a book by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child called “The Lost Island: A Gideon Crew Novel”. This book is marketed as an exotic, high adventure but is really a science fiction which, in a way, the title already suggests when you think of novels with similar names such as Conan Doyle’s “Lost World” and Jules Verne’s “The Mysterious Island”. I just started Burroughs’ “Tarzan and the Ant Men”, Book 10 of the Ape Man’s series. Since the Fourth of July I’ve been reading Matt Ruff’s “Lovecraft County”, a Lovecraft-inspired horror novel. And my next, pure science fiction novel, if you will, that I plan to read beginning tomorrow is “The Naked Sun”. Both the title and setting go with these sizzling days. As long as I can read it in a cool place, I’ll be okay with it.


Have you been trying to continue to support your locally owned bookstore through this pandemic? What have you been reading this summer?

Until next time . . .


Comments

  1. Glad you got to meet both author and wife. Sad, she did die young.
    Very cool mask.
    I've read two Gideon books but not that one. Was it good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it. It's one of those just-for-fun reads although it does have some good character development. I just felt like it went between two genres, adventure and science fiction, too abruptly.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least