Skip to main content

IWSG: The Working Writer and Patreon©

 

Logo for the Insecure Writer's Support Group depicting a lighthouse in the background.

It’s the first Wednesday of the month and so it’s time for another Insecure Writers Support Group (IWSG) post! In an IWSG post, we writers bring our writing challenges and problems out into the open to share with each other and try to offer solutions.

The IWSG question for October is: When you think of the term “working writer”, what does that look like to you? What do you think it is supposed to look like? Do you see yourself as a working writer or aspiring or hobbyist, and if latter two, what does that look like?

To me, “working writer” refers to a writer who writes regularly, seriously and, at least in a western economy, for payment of some sort. In other words, a working writer is a professional to some degree. Regardless of how much they are paid or how often, if they are writing to make an income while producing their best work then they are a working writer. Yet, this term can be tricky, because a working writer may never have been paid for their work but they are working towards getting paid and therefore seriously producing work that they are determined to sell whether it’s through freelancing, self-publishing or a more traditional route such as on a magazine staff or through a book publisher. 

I am a working writer. I have been paid for my writing, both fiction and non-fiction. How much I have been paid is a different story. For the large part, I have been underpaid as a writer. I used to write science fiction news, and movie and technology reviews for the now out-of-business Examiner.com. I was paid regularly, so to say, but, because it was a click-ad site and so a site that pays from revenue, many of us were paid very low. 

As a working fiction writer, because I’ve mostly self-published, I have made little from my books. This isn’t so much the fault of the systems I self-publish through, such as Amazon, as it is circumstances. I am a writer with a day job.

But I am turning to another source to support my writing and art. I’ve been creating a Patreon page. Patreon© is a platform for artists and writers to set up pages that offer memberships to their fans. I have heard good things about it and that it’s the way to go for artists. I just finished setting up membership benefits last week and will be launching the page in the next two days. My Patreon page will offer a treasure chest of benefits such as book discounts, behind-the-scenes articles about my fiction, and even merchandise such as stickers and posters! You can be sure that when my Patreon page launches I will announce it here at the Fantastic Site and my Facebook page. If you’re interested, tune in tune in to one of those two. 

“Working writer” is definitely not a fixed definition. The term is different things to different writers. But I define it as a professional writer, even if that writer is professional only in the slightest. It can also be defined as a person who is doing the work of a pro writer and so is serious about the writing rather than just doing it for a hobby. How do you define “working writer”? Have you used Patreon to promote your writing and art and, if so, what was your experience with it like?

Today’s IWSG is brought to you by these super co-hosts:, Jemima Pett, Beth Camp, Beverly Stowe McClure, and Gwen Gardner! IWSG was founded by awesome author Alex Cavanaugh, writer of the Cassa Series of novels! 

Until next time . . . 



Comments

  1. Considering the responses I've been reading, it does mean a lot of different things depending on who you ask. And it is a rare writer who actually gets a fair payment from writing, especially since so much time is put into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is rare that a writer gets fair payment. That's why if a person wants to do it as a career they'd better do it because they really like it and not just for the money.

      Delete
  2. I have heard a lot about Patreon from some of the YouTube channels I watch. I never considered it for writers. That makes sense. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least