Skip to main content

Insecure Writer’s Support Group: Fright Write

The Insecure Writer's Support Group logo with an image of a lighthouse in the background.


It’s the first Wednesday of the month and so it’s time for another Insecure Writers Support Group (IWSG) post! In an IWSG post, we writers bring our writing challenges and problems out into the open to share with each other and try to offer solutions.

The IWSG question for November is: Albert Camus once said, “The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself.” Flannery O’Conner said, “I write to discover what I know.” Authors across time and distance have had many reasons to write. Why do you write what you write?

My reasons for writing fiction are to entertain and scare people. As a science fiction and horror writer, I try to write fiction that helps to change the world as well as entertain it. The ancient Greeks used to produce plays to teach morals. Other societies, primitive and ancient, told stories for the same reasons. 

Today they say you shouldn’t write fiction to teach anything whether it’s a moral or something else. However, I at least partly disagree. Yes, we need, and so I write, stories to entertain ourselves with. To live our everyday, relatively safe, ordered lives is boring. So we read stories about people’s whose lives are out of the ordinary. So, in a sense, I write fiction to give people adventures that they, like myself, wouldn’t take in real life. Many science fiction readers like myself like reading stories about alien invasions or supercomputers that take over the world and spy on an individual everywhere he or she goes, but we don’t want to be in those situations ourselves. 

However, we have a responsibility to help ourselves as a human race make a better life for all of us. Fiction can help us do that. Stories give us meaning. They give us a safe venue to learn how to handle the world’s problem’s without putting us in those problems themselves. And so, besides writing fiction to give readers a fun experience, I also write it to shake up readers to where they will hopefully think about the story a long time after they’ve read it. I write stories hoping they will make readers think that because a character made a big mistake a really terrible consequence occurred and that the readers will make extra sure not to make that or a similar mistake. 

An example of this kind of story would be one from my short fiction collection, “The Fool’s Illusion”.  In this story with the same name as the book, a character is so lust-driven that he has sex with a corpse. In doing so he disrespects the woman that corpse belonged to as well as her family who has tried preserving the sanctity of it. Because he does this, he finds out that the body is not the beautifully preserved woman he thought it was, a fact that will haunt him for the rest of his life if not longer. While this is meant to disgust and terrify readers from letting their self-centred passions control their actions, it’s also meant to entertain them simply because it is an event totally out of the ordinary and doesn’t involve them. The only way it involves them is the reading of the story. 

While I write to entertain readers, to give both them and myself a safe adventure into the extraordinary, I also write to warn them what can happen if we allow our own ambitions to go too far and, so, at the expense of other people. Yet, I don’t plan my stories around morals. I simply make them as convincing as possible with characters doing believable things which often result in believable consequences. In doing so, I hope that readers will understand how to avoid the mistakes that too much of this world is making, mistakes such as crime, racism, corporate greed and pollution. If the readers don’t make these mistakes to begin with then I hope they’ll discourage other people from making them.

Why do you write what you do?

Today’s IWSG is brought to you by these super co-hosts:, Jemi Fraser, Kim Lajevardi, L.G Keltner, Tyrean Martinson, and Rachna Chhabria! IWSG was founded by awesome author Alex Cavanaugh, writer of the Cassa Series of novels! 

Until next time . . . 


Comments

  1. A safe venue to learn how to handle the world’s problems - that's what I got out of a lot of science fiction and fantasy stories I read. It's often hard to deal with or process real life events, but seeing them in a fictional setting provides us with a way to deal with them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least better, fi