Skip to main content

Upcoming Horror Movies & TV Series: Stephen King’s ‘Salem’s Lot’

A bald vampire glares.
Credit: Pixabay


The closest I’ve come to reading Stephen King’s early novel, “Salem’s Lot”, was the short story prequel called “Jerusalem’s Lot”. I read it in his collection, “Night Shift”. However, I’ve always wanted to read his novel about a vampire-infested New England town but have not been able to find an edition that I cared to purchase. (Yes, I’m picky when it comes to editions of certain books, mostly due to their cover illustrations.) But now that a big screen movie adaptation of “Salem’s Lot” is in the works, I feel more eager to read any edition I can get my hands on. A TV series of the prequel short story is also in the plan.

'Salem’s Lot': The Movie

Gary Dauberman has been chosen to direct the new “Salem’s Lot” movie. Prior to that, he had already written a draft of the screenplay, according to “Science Fiction”. “Science Fiction” also says he will serve as executive producer too. Dauberman has written screenplays for many of the “The Conjuring” movies, particularly the “Annabelle” installments. He also wrote for the two “It” theatrical films (“It” and “It: Chapter II”) which were also based on Stephen King’s novel of the same name. As of this writing, production and release dates for “Salem’s Lot” are unknown.

This will not be the first time Stephen King’s “Salem’s Lot” will be adapted to film. In fact, it was made into a two-part TV movie twice: once in 1979 and again in 2004. The first adaptation was eventually “re-edited into a shorter, international theatrical version,” according to an article at “Screen Rant”. Also, a big screen sequel, titled “A Return To Salem’s Lot”, was released in 1987 in a limited selection of theatres even though it had been intended for a direct-to-video premiere. Aside from the name, however, it seemed to have no connection to the original movie. An article at "Comic Book Resources" (CBR) states that the movie “bears no resemblance to its predecessor.”

A clip from the 1979 movie adaptation of Stephen King's "Salem's Lot".

I’ve never seen either TV version of “Salem’s Lot” and don’t really plan to. I’m not into TV movies since they always seem to come across to me as extended television episodes. I haven’t seen the so-called sequel. (In fact, I only found out about it today when researching the films.)  Because I’m not a fan of TV movies, I was delighted to find out that a big screen version of Stephen King’s novel will be made. So, that version I would go see whenever it comes out. Hopefully movie theatres will reopen by then and this pandemic will have lifted. If not, well, there may be a revived drive-in showing it. And if there isn’t? Well then at least it will have been made for the big screen and so in that case I’ll be okay watching it streamed or on DVD.

TV Series of the Prequel

It was also recently announced that a TV-series based on the short story, “Jerusalem’s Lot”, the prequel to “Salem’s Lot”, is being made for the video streaming service, EPIX. This new horror TV series will be titled “Chapelwaite” and will star Adrien Brody (“King Kong”) and Emily Hampshire. It will consist of 10-episodes Unlike “Salem’s Lot” the novel, which was set in modern times (the time of its publication, the 1970s), the short story is set in the 19th century. The synopsis: a gentleman moves into his ancestral estate to discover that the adjunct, long-abandoned village of Jerusalem’s Lot contains a dreadful curse. “Deadline” states that the series is planned for a Fall 2020 premiere.

As I’ve never been a fan of TV movies, I’ve never been a fan of TV series based on books. I personally don’t see this series going anywhere much. I mean, how far can you take a TV series based on a story not much more than 30 pages? I think I would be impressed with a series of this type much less than I would with the many TV series based on entire novels such as “The Haunting of Hill House”. The adaptation of novels into TV series is so overrated. A lot of great books out there that television producers have been exploiting with this trend can be made into really great movies. Now, if this prequel story were to first be made into a full-length feature film then producers may be able to use that as source material to better develop a TV series. If that were the case, then I wouldn’t mind checking it out.
 

Stephen King has become more popular than ever with his work. Many of his works more or less recently being adapted into TV series, such as “The Mist”, has helped him gain a new generation of fans while continuing the devotion of his older ones. Surely, both the new “Salem’s Lot” movie and its prequel TV series, “Chapelwaite”, will help continue the fan-following and perhaps even increase it.

What do you think about a new "Salem's Lot" movie? What about a TV series based on the prequel short story, "Jerusalem's Lot"?

Until next time . . .

Comments

  1. I was a young teen when the first Salem's Lot came out and it scared the crap out of me. It would look really dated now, but it is worth a watch. I'm curious if this latest remake will be as effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that it was really scary. I think the scene with the teenage vampire at the window is the only part that I remember when my dad was watching it when I was a kid. I don't remember being creeped out by it though because I don't think I watched the whole movie. I sometimes wonder, though, if the 1980s movie The Lost Boys used that seen as an idea for one of the teen vampires that appeared at the window of one of the kids (the main character, I don't remember his name).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least